Tuesday, August 26, 2014

The Grind Behind the Grins

I do not believe everything I hear and only half of what I see. Or is it the other way around?

But after watching the Bears get torched by Seattle last week, 34-6, albeit in an exhibition game, it just seemed they didn't take this seriously enough.

General Manager Phil Emery went on and on after the game about how new No. 2 quarterback Jimmy Clausen looked good directing the offense to field goals against Seattle's No. 3 defense.

He'll be the next member of the former Bears No. 2 quarterbacks club, joining Jason Campbell, Caleb Hanie, Josh McCown and now Jordan Palmer. Like the others, Clausen will get plenty of playing time when Jay Cutler suffers his annual injury.

And Cutler didn't sound too disappointed with the loss and the beating, saying the Bears did a lot of things right and were just a few executions away from being in the game.

I can think of exactly which executions they should schedule.
***
I keep hearing from all the football pundits on TV that mobile quarterbacks get hurt a lot more than non-mobile quarterbacks, you know, the traditional pocket passers.

Like Joe Namath. No, wait...

Like Phil Simms. No, wait...

Like Matthew Stafford. No, wait...

Like Tom Brady. No, wait...

Like Tony Romo. No, wait...

Like Sam Bradford. No, wait...

Like, screw it. The pocket passers get hurt just as much because they're not mobile enough. Michael Vick has never played a full season, when he wasn't in jail, that is, because he was so mobile he got smacked around. Jay Cutler, on the other hand, has not played a full season since being traded to the Bears because he wasn't mobile enough.

Huh?

We report, you decide.
***
So Michael Sam sacked Johnny Football and celebrated with the "money" sign. My question is, if you watched the play, who the heck was the Cleveland tackle he beat so easily who then proceeded to outright pounce on Sam after the play was long dead?

No penalty. Nothing.

The one thing I have noticed this preseason is that the refs are calling different games than I've been watching, that's for sure. And I've only been watching so I can see some of my prospective fantasy draft choices play.

Otherwise, I can live without preseason football. Can't we all?

No comments: