Saturday, August 2, 2014

Play Me Or Trade Me

Once upon a time, eons ago by today's communication standards, one of my starting fantasy pitchers, Baltimore's Storm Davis, a good-but-not-great hurler, got traded to the National League during the off-season. We were an American League only fantasy group, comprised of guys at the company where I worked at the time, so I got burned on that one.

A few of the guys, a day after the trade, drifted by my office, chuckling and pointing a finger at me, teasing me over losing a key starter off a team that had finished in the money the prior year.

Twenty-plus years later, I got 13 text messages on July 31 from ESPN, notifications alerting me that hardly any players I cared about on any teams I hardly cared about had been dealt as the trade deadline approached. There were so many guys traded on July 31 that you almost had to be insulted if you weren't one of them.

You're not worthy. You're not good enough. You're not desirable. You're not attractive. Nobody needs you, even if you're a good defensive catcher. Especially if all you are is a good defensive catcher.

Big names, big contracts flew all over the place. ESPN was breaking into its broadcast schedule just to announce that Martin Prado had been acquired by the Yankees.

Really? Martin Prado? You broke in for that? Well, they did give up Peter O'Brien to get him. Yeah, that Peter O'Brien.

In all, I think I dug my phone out of my pocket repeatedly for news about baseball immortals like Stephen Drew, Drew Smyly, Nick Franklin, Kelly Johnson, Willy Adames, Eduardo Rodriguez (yes, that Eduardo Rodriguez!), Andrew Miller, Chris Denorfia, Abraham Almonte, Stephen Kohlscheen, Mitch Haniger and Anthony Banda.

There were a few players I'd heard of. Gerardo Parra (yes, I've heard of him), Allen Craig, John Lackey, Austin Jackson and of course David Price, Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes and Yoenis Cespedes.

And, of course, let's not forget Martin Prado and Peter O'Brien. Yeah, that Peter O'Brien.

   ***
The nice part about watching so much sports on TV is that you get a peek at the promos for the upcoming fall season of new shows on the networks and cable stations, respectively. Actually, the network stuff looks like it sucks. The cable stuff has a chance.

On the over-the-air networks, the next not-so-great rom/com is getting ready to replace the stale one. The next espionage thriller is getting ready to replace the old one that never achieved good-enough ratings to be kept around.

The next great sitcom is on the way. The most-recent supposed-to-be-next great one is leaving.

The over-the-hill star is coming back for more. More bad ratings, that is (only Ed O'Neill has survived that on Modern Family).

All in all, the new fall season looks like the old fall season. No wonder the cable and premium networks introduce new shows whenever they want to on the calendar with no regard for the "new fall season." They've got the actual quality shows with which to do it that people will stop and watch (and record and watch).

***
I'm having fun posting this blog again, almost daily. Everything but pro football, which I save for thesportspost.com, where Sam, Evan and Joe take good care of my Juice This posts very Sunday morning. Can't thank those guys enough.

Oh, one more thing. I love watching golf on TV. I can't believe those guys hit as bad shots as I do. No wonder I don't get upset about my game anymore.

Yeah, my swing is all good. Can't say the same for my scores though.

And that'll be enough. G'night Gracie. G'night George...

No comments: