Wednesday, April 29, 2020

Oh dear, not again, not this time

Tbe Schloss-Blog does not want to write about the coronavirus.

I want to write about my fabulous GDX fraternity brothers, with whom I had the privilege of being on fantastic Zoom calls the last two months and will continue to be, on the last Sunday of every month.

That is, until we can meet again in person for a real reunion, sometime in 2021. Broke 100 twice playing golf, which is miraculous for me. But the coronavirus is still out there.

I want to write about the Psi Gam girls who welcomed me into their weekly cocktail Zoom call, but the coronavirus is still out there. It hasn't lessened the beauty and heart of all five of them, going back almost 50 years.

I want to write about my daughter and my grandson (age 6), but the coronavirus is still out there. My daugher has matured into a professional and effective social worker at a time when we need so many of them in this world.

I want to write about how much I've binge-watched "NCIS," "Chicago P.D." and "Bluebloods," but the coronavirus is still out there..

I want to write about the hiking bros in my fraternity - Lenny, Chauck, Corky and Larry,  but the coronavirus is still out there. I will join you guys, some day.

I want to write about the people with whom I've reconnected, growing up on East 2nd Street in Brooklyn, but the coronavirus is still out there.

I want to write my brother having lost 100 pounds, and my sister-in-law has lost some 50, but the coronavirus is still out there. I am so proud of and happy for them.

I want to write about Jim Benes, who is reorganizing the Illinois-based golf group I played with so often now that courses are opening up again in the state, but the coronavirus is still out there.

I want to write about, for the first time in my life, packing toilet paper in my suitcase before returning home to Illinois, because I don't remember how much we had there when we left for Arizona. But the coronavirus is still out there.

I want to write about how much my friendships with my fraternity brothers mean to me, especially the guys on the reunion planning committee with me, but the coronavirus is still out there.

I want to write about how our government has struck that critical balance between keeping people healthy and keeping people employed.

But I can't. Because the coronavirus is stil out there.

And I will not relent about it until Trump is out of office and our government starts taking it seriously.

Good night, Mrs. Calabash. Here's to you,. Mrs. Robinson.

More to come on my show, Sunday night on radiofreephoenix.com, when I dedicate a set of music to my friend, Lori Jones Guthrie.

No comments: