Thursday, July 30, 2020

Thankful for...

After weeks and even months of dumping on Donald Trump, it's time for a change of pace in the Schloss-Blog.

While Trump ravages the nation, lets the coronavirus obliterate the status of our healthcare and the economy, attacks innocents with paramilitary forces and tries to bend every Constitutional standard, for the rest of us, life goes on.

And I'm thankful for a lot of it, a lot of it which I would take for granted but can't in the age of Trump, COVID and the simple inability now to go out to eat on a Saturday night.

I'm thankful for my daughter, who is getting married on Sept. 6, to a great guy.

I'm thankful for my grandson, whose innocence and curiosity are so refreshing that you almost forget that there is a ravaged economy and a coronavirus out there.

I'm thankful I can still work, assuming that there is something for me to work on, if the coronavirus hasn't totally destroyed high school sports as I've known it for the last 40 years that I've covered it. There is no greater gratification than seeing the thrill in a high school athlete's eyes while interviewing him or her after a game.

I'm thankful for all the great coaches I got to work with and still get to work with all these years, the Mark Saylors of the world, the Grant Blaneys of the world, the Paul Moro's (AZ football) of the world, the Joe Sanchez's of the world, the Ted Ecker's of the world, the Donna Dubbelde's of the world, the Bill Ebenezer's of the world and the Tom Baumann's of the world. So many more. Wish I could name you all (John Camardella, Ryan O'Connor and John Novak).

I'm thankful that there is an "ion television," allowing me to binge-watch "Chicago P.D.," "Law and Order," "Law and Order C.I.," "NCIS Los Angeles" (Daniela Ruah is hot) and even "The Listener," about the EMT who is a mind-reader helping the police solve crimes.

Sorry, "ion," but I don't binge-watch "Through the Bible with Les Feldick." Besides, it's on too early.

I'm thankful for all my relatives all over the country, who I know would've all gotten on a plane and flown to wherever Erin's wedding would've been if it wasn't for the COVID virus.

I'm thankful Jocelyn has kept me on the relative straight and narrow, OK, one or the other, all these years.

I'm thankful for friends like Catherine Wolf, the Triad girls of my Sports Reporting class, fellow faculty like Carolyn, Norma, Barb, Lillian, Yolanda, Jeff, Jeff, Len and Shanitaaaaaaaah (and Kevin).

And best of luck and health to Caitlin, John and little Miles. And Grandma and Grandpa Brian and Cathy.

I'm thankful for my GDX brothers, who can get together and chat like the conversation never ended 40+ years ago. Whale, Corky, Bunky, Lev, Cool Guy (and Ellen), Hick, Harvey, Hoff, Hoover, Keenan, Coach, Butch, Monk, Schnepper and everyone else. Even Skulls and Rod. 

I'm thankful for my "Arizona family," including and especially GDX'ers Marcus and Fox and their significant others, and Lauren and Fernando (and little Ofelia), and Wayne and Karla, down the street, without whom I don't meet Sharon and Liz from Radio Free Phoenix and become the voice of Sunday nights. Andy, Dave, Dan, Joe, Cheryl, you have all made me part of the RFP family. Thank you.

And couldn't forget Candice, without whom my house doesn't get inspected and maintained out there.

I'm thankful for the Buffalo Grove 1978 football team, that still remembers me. Thanks for the round of golf, Bentley Patterson. You have become as good a man as you were an all-state linebacker. And the best jump shot ever, Joyce Gallagher.

And for runners like Dana Lee Mirobelli and Michelle Weissensee Jarchow.

I'm thankful for my brother and sister-in-law, who remember to remind me of everything I do that my parents would, or would not have approved of.

I'm thankful for all the students who wrote nice and insightful comments about me on anonymous reviews at semester's end every year when enough of the other instructors in the department scratched their heads wondering how "the sports guy" was being such an effective instructor. Sorry, Nancy, but I got tenure anyway. Unanimously.

I'm thankful for all the editors and publishers who trusted me to edit their books (Reji Laberje, George Castle, Ferguson Jenkins, Steve Zucker) and the students out there making me proud as the award-winning sports reporters they have become; Graham Couch; Rod Burks; Sue Jo; Alan Trubow; et. al. I'm thankful for Aaron Gabriel, Marty Maciaszek, John Leusch, Marty Stengle, John Radtke and the dear friend and colleague who made me look so good, Dwayne Heidtbrink. And most of all, my dear, dear friend, Bob Frisk. No one else ever like him.

And Quags. And Greg. Bruce Miles (the incomparable.). And Joe Aguilar.

R and I, Cahners folks, you too. Julie, Kathi, Maureen, Jane (R.I.P.), Brad. And Rick McNeilly. No, wait...

I'm thankful I can still sit here at this terminal and bang this out every week. Next week, back to being brash little old me, insulting everyone from Clay Travis to Donald Trump.

Until then, good night, Mrs. Calabash and here's to you, Mrs. Robinson.

More tonight on my rock 'n' roll show on Radio Free Phoenix.













No comments: