Saturday, February 10, 2024

Wheeling and Wild

The Schloss-Blog is thankful for Wheeling High School thinking enough to put me into its Sports Hall of Fame this weekend, as a "Friend of Wheeling" (actually, as a Media Contributor to the Community).

***

It was humbling.

To get the notification from A.D. Don Rowley Jr. that I was being inducted.

It was humbling.

To find out that I was accompanying the girls cross-country team that won the first-ever official state title, a team that I covered as a rookie sportswriter, and did it so very convincingly.

It was humbling.

To gather with so many of them, first at Cooper;s Hawk for a cocktail and then at the school for pizza and remembrances as we conversed, strolled around the athletic facilities, laughed, hugged, told tales and just enjoyed the moment.

It was humbling.

To be included with coaches Mark Saylor and the late Jim Nagel, two guys who are coaching giants for their accomplishments.

All I did was write about it. And photograph it.

Thanks for the love from Rowley, from Saylor, from Gail (Miloch) Huster, Betsy and Bonnie Buenzow (who graciously stopped for a pic with Jordan, my grandson, who they termed my 'mini-me'), Denise Begrowicz, Geri Sabal Egan, Debbie Rathje and so many others who showed up.

And four special ladies: Sue Saylor, Mark's better half, one of the best golfers and most-gracious people I know; Donna Dubbelde, a Hall-of-Famer as a do-everything coach who celebrated the occasion with all the gusto and caring that she brought to the volleyball, basketball and track events she coached; Dana Miroballi, the four-time state cross-country champ who was not on the 1979 team (she came along later), but remains a true friend of the school (and of mine) and the best coach Luke could ever have; and Marilyn Kent, the true of queen sports at Wheeling, who never failed to greet me and at the door when I covered a game there with the warm smile that always shook off the cold winter night.

What a delight to see them all and so many more. And thanks to Dave Oberhelman and Marty  Maciaszek at the Daily Herald for capturing it all so eloquently.

***

Don't have the heart to spoil this with political commentary this week. I'll just say I've got 83 million reasons why.

As Elmo would say though, just checking in; let me know, how you doing?

***

Good night, Mrs. Calabash. Here's to you, ladies of 1979.

More Sunday night on my Radio Free Phoenix rock 'n' roll show.


No comments: