Saturday, September 17, 2022

Remembering Stuff

The Schloss-Blog sometimes knows what it's going to write about well in advance, and sometimes not until just moments before posting.

This is one of those weeks, when a few things I've tripped over have supplanted my opinions on violations of the Espionage Act or underwriters of the Insurrection or even how stupid Lindsey Graham is for bringing forth a bill to ban abortions nationwide.

For instance, my friend, John Wasik, is running for re-election to the Lake County (Illinois) Board.

I don't live in Lake County. I have no family residing there. Me and John were both contracted at the same time by Blackwell Publishing to write books in a series that included my "Sports Marketing" tome (Blackwell, Malden, MA, 1996), one of the first in the genre.

We became kindred spirits, keeping each other abreast of our progress on our respective books. It was an honor to be included in the same author group with John, a true warrior for fiscal and resource management in the county, all the while the heartfelt father and husband that's he been.

If I lived in Lake County, I know I'd vote for him. If you live in Lake County, you should too.

***

Been reading where Premier League soccer games have been postponed in England because of the Queen Elizabeth II's funeral, which so far has last about a month. Don't worry - her son has had 73 years of training and is more than ready to be king.

But the soccer matches have been postponed because there apparently is not enough "security" to post at the games, due to so much of it being detailed to security assignment for the funeral that never ends.

The miles-long lines to pay final respects to the queen are testimony to her beloved status by the British people. But the postponement of the games, is that testimony to the British soccer crowds being the overtly rowdy crowds that would be out of control if not for an overt police presence?

Queen 1, hooligans 0.

***

Had the unique privilege on Thursday of this past week to spend an hour with Sharon Bouchard, a standout athlete whose exploits I got to cover when she was at Buffalo Grove High School and I was a rookie reporter. I should say @Sharon A Bouchard, or what she goes by on social media.

She was kind enough to think to contact me when her cross-country bike ride brought her through Phoenix. We spent an hour reminiscing and catching up. Could have turned into all day if we'd let it.

God bless you, Sharon, and the charitable ride on which you've embarked. All the sports reporting I've done doesn't measure up to the heart you're displaying now. Thanks for thinking of me.

*** 

I post a lot on Facebook, trying to keep it funny and lighthearted, except for this blog every Sunday, which is sometimes funny, but never lighthearted. Most political stuff goes on my Twitter account. Having once taught a course on how to use social media to cover sports, and still using it to cover sports, I have subsequently maintained my social-media profiles.

Every once in a while, I post something that gets a lot of looks, a lot of likes. And I'm appreciative. I usually look to see who put a thumbs-up or a heart or something on one of my posts, even some of the most-lighthearted ones,

I like to check the list, so to speak, of people who put a stamp of approval on my work product, and one name coming up recently that I had not seen nor heard about in many years is Chris Molenaur, a modest, mild-mannered, 6-9 basketball star who hit some big shots, made some big plays and played some great games for Buffalo Grove High School, but always shied away from the spotlight, letting his teammates take the bows.

I reached out and sent him a DM, letting him know that after all these years, it was nice to see his name pop up on my social-media feed. He responded right away, his usual reserved, appreciative self, addressing me as "Mr. Schlossberg."

I think I got a chuckle out of him reminding him that now, some 40 years later, he can call me "Howard."

Sportswriters don't do it for the money - they do it for the gratification. Chris and so many of his Buffalo Grove classmates and teammates are among those high on my gratification list.

It makes me appreciative of guys like Bill Filetti, Bentley Patterson and Scotty Bastable of Buffalo Grove, plus former Wheeling track stars Michele Weisensee Jarchow and Dana Lee Miroballi. And so many more.

One of these weeks I'll get around to my former students, so many of whom are still in touch.

***

A quick greeting to Andy Olson, who is celebrating a milestone birthday this weekend. Andy runs Radio Free Phoenix, where you can hear my show every Sunday from 9 p.m. to midnight, Arizona time.

Four years ago, I submitted a list of songs on RFP's "Radio Freedom" tab, songs I would play if I was in charge of the station for an hour. To my surprise, Andy had me into the studio and made me an instant DJ.

What fun! I did it again a few months later and after encouragement from long-time DJ's Liz Boyle and Sharon Kelley, I asked Andy if I could fill an open slot he had.

Four years later, like I said, here I am, every Sunday night. Andy, Liz and Sharon have held my hand through "training" me on how to do this.

Forever appreciative, forever thankful for their friendships, confidence and camaraderie.

Thanks, Andy. Happy birthday.

***

Good night, Mrs. Calabash. Here's to you Sharon A, Dana and Michele.

More Sunday night on my Radio Free Phoenix rock 'n' roll show.






No comments: