Wednesday, October 31, 2018

Ends and Odds thereof

The Schloss-Blog has had an odd end-to-a-means week.

First, I arrived in Arizona to find my guest bedroom in my house with a partially collapsed ceiling due to a leak in the roof. Great, huh? Have already put the steps in motion to get damages in the room repaired, but can't proceed until the homeowners association fixes the roof - in other words, before it rains again. And October was the wettest, rainiest month in the state's history.

A lot of that was hot air though, coming out of the mouths of political candidates (looking at you, Martha McSally).

Every time I put on a cable news station though, I see Donald Trump out on the campaign trail and not in the White House. Interestingly, he lambasted Barack Obama in 2016 for being a president who was out campaigning too much instead of running the country. Hmm...

But Donald loves everybody, just ask him. Except Muslims. Except Latin Americans (and their kids). Except the LGBTQ community (check YOUTube to hear him stumble through saying L-G-B-T-Q). Oh, and of course, the media. He likes to say Fake News. I like to say, Fake President, Real News.

This in the wake of the killings of my brethren, Jews, in Pittsburgh, so sad. And the bombing attempts on the lives of news media personnel at Trump's beloved CNN and to prominent Democrats like the Clintons, Obamas, Eric Holder, Corey Booker, Maxine Waters, George Soros and the Schlossbergs.
OK, the Goldbergs, the TV show cast.

We had a shooting in Pittsburgh and bombing attempts across the continent by people quite discriminatory, whether in sympathy with the White House or not. Interesting how Trump complains about the "obstructionist" Democrats when he has the Senate, the House and his own 'house' all in his favor and still can't get major legislation passed.

But getting back to home base, my cable and internet were out when I arrived here and the cable company kept telling us there as an outage, which was unusual because out next-door neighbors all had service. Had to beg the cable company to come out and examine my equipment and connection but they kept saying it was a non-existent outage, which precludes sending a repair team.

They finally came, and we needed them before Monday morning so we could both work, and the tech who came said our line from house to box was not only not connected, it was nonexistent. Turns out, the grounds crew probably inadvertently and unintentionally cut the line because the tech had to replace the whole freaking line, house to meter box.

Ever go 24 hours without cable or internet? Me neither, and it was excruciating. Got it back just in time to watch a less-than-thrilling Cardinals football game which preempted a terrifically exciting and very impactful Packers-Rams game in the local market in the same time slot.

Wonderful.

Meanwhile, I've swept and cleaned out front, side and rear patios and met our neighbors, who are not renting the unit next door but actually own it and are staying there because their real home nearby was severely damaged in the recent heavy rainstorms. They have a renter coming in though but can't go home yet. Fun.

Did have a whole bunch of stuff from amazon waiting for me when I got here, much of which was supposed to have been sent to my Illinois home. It seems they have defaulted my permanent address to my Arizona address, even though I spend much more time in Illinois than Arizona. And people complain that amazon knows too much about you. Hah! They don't even know my permanent address. Wait, either do I.

So maybe the Washington Post is fake news after all? Uh, nah...

Did you know, by the way, Republicans will protect your pre-existing conditions - at least until after the election?

Me and my friend Larry are going to go to an Arizona Coyotes game. I have no idea why.




No comments: