Sunday, August 7, 2016

Pretty Simple Praise For A Hero Or Two

Pretty simple today. Noted today are two guys in hero status, as far as I'm concerned.

Former NFL'er Steve Gleason's column in S.I. on July 25 reminded me that life is about spirit and attitude. Gleason has ALS, a devastating, life-taking disease for which there is no cure. Yet, despite the motor- and motion-robbing deterrents it has on the lives of those inflicted with it, he still managed to author an inspirational column, father a child and do so much more, without feeling sorry a bit for himself. He is a hero.

In S.I.'s Olympic and Para-Olympic preview issue, there are sketches of some expected star U.S. athletes. One of them, Lex Gillette, is blind. Yet, he long jumps 22 feet.

For those of you, of us, who think we have problems, Gleason and Gillette are reasons, by contrast, we don't, at least none we can't overcome. I will always remember that, remind people of that and tell my students in my college classrooms about them.

Always.

No comments: