Saturday, January 14, 2023

In Case You Didn't Know...

The Schloss-Blog is looking at all the things we could learn if we were reading Fast Company and WIRED newsletters that promise advice on how to be better managers, how to promote vibrant cultures and how different generations rate each other in the workplace.

In other words, all things trending. Stand by.

*For instance, did you know, according to Fast Company, that there are specific protocols that managers should use when approaching promotions for underlings.

Not sure what they are, even after reading the article, but I'm still waiting for the article to tell me something I didn't know. But to me, the manager, if you can't help the company make more money, generate more subscriptions, achieve healthier profits and/or improve our lot in the world, you ain't getting promoted.

*Found out from WIRED that there are three ways to 'rewire' your default stress settings.

But if you're not getting stressed out about something, chances are you're not human. We all need a degree of stress to function, to be driven. My default stress settings, however, include not ticking off my spouse, not pestering my daughter and not spending money irresponsibly. I generally do all three anyway.

Not sure if that makes me wired or rewired.

*Know what Fast Company says are the five best apps on your phone? Neither do I, but I know I can't get by without American Airlines, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and amazon. Any question?

*What were the biggest tech trends of 2022 and what will be the biggest of 2023? Wait, it's AI, AI, AI and AI. Also, AI.

*Looking for cable TV alternatives? Streaming, streaming, streaming and streaming. The rumor is that Netflix will merge with or be bought out by Disney+ or Paramount+, creating a streaming service so big, it'll be too tempting to resist.

As long as they have the sporting events I want, I'm in. Right now, live sports account for 90% of the top-rated TV shows, and unless the streaming services carry the ones I want, I ain't streaming, no matter how much of a trend Fast Company identified it as.

*Gen Z, Gen X, Baby Boomers and Millennials generally consider each other cordial. And that's it. 

*Did you know that Fast Company says there are nine essential tech products? I can't name them either besides my laptop, my cellphone and my tablet. What are the other six? Someone? Anyone?

*Reddit predicts trends. Really? And here I thought all it did was allow for anonymous attacks on other people.

*There are five employment trends that will shape the future. Let's see, four of them are a paycheck, a pay raise, green grass and grass that is greener on the other side.

*Bet you didn't know there are five skills managers must have, Fast Company says. I looked at the list - being able to manage was not on it.

*Speaking of stress, as we were earlier, self-care is something that drives up your stress levels. And 45% of us, WIRED says, consider ourselves stressed out; 36% consider ourselves scared and depressed and an overlapping 25% consider ourselves demotivated.

Man, that's depressing. Guess that puts me though in the 36%.

*Are you keeping up with food trends? I'm reading where kelp, pulp, mocktails, fruit, hojicha tea, experiential dining and tables for one are trending, says, Fast Company.

I don't know - I eat alone a lot. Table for one? Nah, I sit at the bar.

*Finally, I see where YouTube is becoming Tik Tok and Tik Tok is becoming YouTube. So, does that mean I can watch one of my favorite videos, the Tedeschi-Trucks Band doing Layla with Trey Anastasio of Phish sitting in with them, on Tik Tok?

Here's two of my trends:

Good night, Mrs. Calabash. Here's to you, Mrs. Robinson.

More Sunday night on my Radio Free Phoenix rock 'n' roll show.

God watch over us with Kevin McCarthy as Speaker of the House.

And Jack Smith, what's taking so long?

No comments: