Thursday, May 21, 2020

Sports Ain't Sports Any More, But Music Lives Forever

My No. 20 and final... Eric Clapton Crossroads.

I promised in today's Schloss-Blog to discuss the state of sports in America and I will, but I will also be introducing No. 20, the finale, in my 20 Albums in 20 Days challenge, which I was brought into through the grace and friendship of Columbia College grad Vince Cunningham, a music aficionado if I ever met one. But, as mentioned, my finale is "Eric Clapton Crossroads," the 4-disc collection that captures his entire career, ranging from the Yardbirds to Cream to Blind Faith to Delany and Bonnie Bramlett and Friends and Derek and the Dominos before going solo. Oops, can't forget John Mayall and Bluesbreakers.

The album includes "For Your Love," "Sunshine of Your Love," "White Room," with which he opened last time I saw him, "Let it Rain," "Tell the Truth," "Strange Brew," "After Midnight" and, of course, "Layla."

The album isn't important to me just because it's my favorite entertainer of all time, but also because, released in 1988, it was the first birthday gift my darling Jocelyn ever gave me when we started seeing each other, so it has a special place in my heart and my memory. Thirty years later, she has still been able to see inside me for the perfect gifts.

As to the state of sports, guess it depends on what state you're in because sports is a state of mind. It's the thing on which we blow the rent money to pay off bets. It's the thing which we love as deeply and far longer than any significant other. We complain about our significant others. We jump off the couch when our defense forces and recovers a fumble.

For me, regardless of the sport, what happens when they start playing and five guys show up with the virus? Then 12. Then 25 on 17 different teams in any sport in any league. What happens when it's Derrick Henry? Alvin Kamara? Or even the Gronk?

On top of all that, how do you feel about them playing in stadiums with no fans in attendance? Heck, fans won't even be allowed to tailgate outside the stadiums, in all likelihood.

What then?

Even without fans in stadiums or tailgating outside, they'll gather instead in sports bars (if they're open) or in other people's houses for tailgate-at-home parties.

But can you imagine college football without a jammed-pack house? Or even high school football?

Heck, there may not be any kids on campus as some states have already declared that most if not all classes will be done online this fall. And how many people are going to be willing to get on a plane to go to a big game in South Bend, Ann Arbor, Columbus, Tuscaloosa, Gainesville, Knoxville, Tempe, Palo Alto, you name it?

Most people aren't even willing to go out to eat. Yet.

Me and mine among them.

Can't even plan a reunion with my fraternity brothers for summer or fall of 2021 because of all the uncertainty surrounding the fallout from COVID-19. There would be guys (and their gals) coming from all over the country to Albany, New York. Yes, I said New York.

So sit back. Enjoy binge-watching. Carry out and eat in. And hang on to your season tickets. Maybe they'll honor them next year.

Good night Mrs. Calabash. Here's to you Mrs. Robinson.

More on my regular Sunday rock 'n' roll show at 11 p.m. Eastern on Radio Free Phoenix dot com.






No comments: