Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Cedric the Entertainer

Yeah, the big guy is my title today, not because I'm a big fan but because we all probably remember the Bud Light ads which he always concluded with, "it's .. it's not so bad."

He was right.

Just listen to Amy Van Dyken talk. The six-time Olympic Gold Medalist did just that on ESPN2 yesterday. And beyond her words of hope and optimism, you can feel her message, literally feel it.

She calls every day "a blessing." She jokes that she's learning to drive again, so "watch out." I will invite her to come speak to my Sports Reporting class at Columbia College. She'd no doubt be the best speaker ever.
                                          ***
I see where Patrick Peterson of the Cardinals is now the highest-paid cornerback in the NFL. Yo, Patrick, call me when you win a Super Bowl.
                                          ***
Getting very tired of the hypocrisy of baseball players smashing shaving-cream pies in the face of or spilling water or Gator Ade buckets over the heads of that night's game star during a post-game interview.

Enough. Networks never show fans running in the field so why show this? It's one game and the only reason it's done is to get on TV. Shame on you ESPN for always showing it. Has nothing to do with the game. Save it for the playoffs, World Series.

When I played softball, we slapped high-fives after every game and went and got a beer. Tell these multimillion-dollar babies to grow up, especially the ones who are on mediocre teams. I've already seen enough of you this season. I don't need to see pie throwing or buckets overturned.

Save it for the playoffs, if you're good enough to get there. Which you aren't.

No comments: